[FFmpeg-user] libass, fontconfig and subtitle fonts

Karl Huysmans info at karlhuysmans.be
Wed Jan 16 13:39:24 CET 2013

Hi All,

When I try to burn subtitles with a ass file in ffmpeg, it always seems to want DejaVu Sans, whatever font defined in the .ass file.

For example:

ffmpeg -i test.mp4 -c:v libx264 -vf ass=sample.ass -c:a copy test_sub.mp4

fontconfig: Selected font is not the requested one: 'DejaVu Sans' != ''Liberation Sans"

[V4+ Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
Style: Default,Liberation Sans,20,&H00FFFFFF,&H000000FF,&H00000000,&H00000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0,1,2,1,2,10,10,10,1

Any other produces the same issue. I'vetried with several font names as in the information of fontforge, nothing seems to work. All other parameters work, like color, attributes, size, …

Anyone?

FFmpeg is latest from git.

Karl Huysmans
IT & Video Engineering