[FFmpeg-user] formula for transcoding to ogv, shrinking an mkv

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Fri Jan 18 16:17:06 CET 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> The MEncoder documentation is old and therefore by
> definition a bit out-dated but it contains many
> information to basic strategies:
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-2pass

Thank you for providing that link, Carl. I've looked over the information
and learned a bit more. In summary, it looks like 2-pass (or multi-pass)
encoding serves the function of minimizing file size while preserving
maximal video quality. And it is something along those lines I'd like to
do with my screencast files.

But as I read over that information, I note that it seems to refer mostly
to production movies. It speaks, for example, of action scenes, which can
apparently require higher bit rates than non-action scenes. On reading
that, I realize that the screencast files I produce are quite different,
and I am left wondering how applicable the material is to my scenario.

In overview, what I am producing are lecture files. I capture the input
portion of a drawing program window, which I use as a kind of whiteboard,
typing in occasional words or phrases as I speak. At intervals I erase the
content and start typing there anew. The result is that there is actually
very little change in the content of the area I am capturing: several
minutes may go by when nothing at all is typed into the area and so no
video changes are occurring. That visual scenario is, of course, much
different than a production movie--action or otherwise.

I don't know whether that further explanation of the nature of my
screencast files will have any bearing on which transcoding method I
will need to use. But it seemed worth noting.

James