[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg, possible to configure with 8 bit and 10 bit libx264

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Fri Jan 18 17:30:18 CET 2013

Le nonidi 29 nivôse, an CCXXI, Dave Rice a écrit :
> I'm working on a project where I need to encode an input to both 8 bit and
> 10 bit encodings with libx264. I have been able to build ffmpeg with
> libx264 with either 8 or 10 bit support. Is it possible to build one
> ffmpeg that would support both? Such as " -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p "
> and " -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le ". It seems to me that I can build
> two ffmpegs one with 8 bit x264 and 10 bit x264, but I wanted to check to
> see if there is a simpler solution.

If your ffmpeg is linked with libx264 dynamically, then it will adapt
automatically to the depth supported by the run-time libx264, regardless of
the version used at build time.

That means you can select the bit depth by selecting which shared library
gets loaded. On Unix platforms, that can be done using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable.

You will not be able to use both bit depths in the same ffmpeg instance,
though. If you want to encode for both, you need to run ffmpeg twice,
therefore doing the decoding and filtering twice.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George