[FFmpeg-user] cannot convert to side-by-side video, unrecognized option

D@rk roberto.francescangeli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:29:28 CET 2013

Hi all,

I’m trying to convert a 2D video in 3D by using the instructions found here:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_3d_movie_with_ffmpeg

but every time I try I get back the error:
ffmpeg: unrecognized option '-vf'

Then on this other website it seems that when I have quotes I need to use the –filter_complex flag (multiple input overlay grid example):
http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/FilteringGuide

but then I get back the error:
ffmpeg: unrecognized option '-filter_complex'

I’m under Ubuntu Linux 10.04 32bits and the complete command line string is:
ffmpeg -i DVD_VR-14.avi -filter_complex "movie=DVD_VR-14.avi [in1]; [in]pad=iw*2:ih:iw:0[in0]; [in0][in1] overlay=0:0 [out]" sidebyside.avi

Thanks for any advice!

Roberto