[FFmpeg-user] concat issue

johnd john at jjdev.com
Thu Jan 24 23:38:49 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:29:52AM +0000, Liam Condron-Farnos wrote:
> To use the concat protocol, your files need to be one of a limited number
> of container formats, lkike mpeg ts. If they are MP4s, you have to create
> intermediate .ts files in the way I described upthread.
>
> With the demuxer, you don't need to do that, it can take any input from any
> container, as long as they have the same resolution and codecs. So even if
> you want to concatenate an MP4 and an FLV files, you can do that, so long
> as they both have h.264 video/AAC audio. Because the demuxer doesn't care
> about the container format, there is no need to create those intermediate
> .ts files, it can work straight from your initial MP4s.

So in my case, I am starting with some videos (they could all be
different codecs/containers).  I cut them up into  h.264/mp4,
create some black silent videos of teh same codec/container.

At the end I have a bunch of clips that are all h.264/mp4.  Is there
any advantage in using the concat demuxer  as opposed to the
concat filter?