[FFmpeg-user] Link against non-specific .so

Andreas Sommer andreas.sommer87 at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:55:58 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM, Andreas Sommer
<andreas.sommer87 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Am 24.01.2013 18:09, schrieb Andreas Sommer:
> >> When I compile the FFmpeg libraries for Android, I get .so files that
> >> reference the others with their specific version. For example,
> >> libswscale.so contains a reference to libavutil.so.52.
> >>
> >> How can I change this to reference "libavutil.so" without the suffix?
> >
> > why would you want this?
> >
> > if the .so number is higher there was a ABI change
> > so anything linking dynamically would be broken and has to be recompiled
> >
> > without the number all you get is randomly crahsing other
> > applications instead a clear error
>
> Makes sense, then I will just copy the lib*.so.XY files directly so that
> the references are correct.
>
> But out of curiosity, is there a way to link to the non-specific .so
> files? Else they don't need to exist, right? :P

When I try to run an Android app with the lib*.so.XY files in /libs,
System.loadLibrary("swscale") crashes and says it cannot find
libavutil.so.52 even though that file is in /libs. I previously had
precompiled (but unfortunately outdated) FFmpeg libraries which
reference each other as lib*.so (without the version). Any way to do
that?