[FFmpeg-user] HLS playback problem on Stagefright 1.2

John Black johnblackjr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:18:16 CEST 2013

Hi all.

I grabbed a bmw commercial MP4 from youtube and transmuxed with ffmpeg to
HLS:

ffmpeg -i bmw.mp4 -map 0 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -f segment -segment_time
10 -segment_list x -bsf h264_mp4toannexb bmw-%03d.ts

This results in 12 ts files, each 10 secs long.

This will play perfectly on VLC and QT, but on Android (using Stagefright
1.2) the video distorts badly on transition points between underlying ts
segments.  (The original MP4 plays fine.)  Other HLS streams not produced
with ffmpeg play fine on Stagefright.

I tried transcoding with libx264 as well, but I get the same problem.  It
doesn't seem to be a codec problem and I'm suspecting the problem may lie
with how ffmpeg is segmenting, or with the Stagefright player, but I'm
unsure of how to debug this.

I would be happy to follow up with any further info, eg, mpeg version
number, build parameters, -i output for mp4 and resulting ts segments, etc.

John