[FFmpeg-user] A change in -timecode ?

Tim Nicholson nichot20 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 10:35:52 CEST 2013

On 08/07/13 22:16, Bob Maple wrote:
> Updated to a more recent Windows build of ffmpeg and have been getting
> something new when using the -timecode switch making Quicktimes:
>
>   Codec AVOption gop_timecode (MPEG GOP Timecode in hh:mm:ss[:;.]ff
>   format) specified for output file #0 (D:\13HD2002H_ProRes.mov) has
>   not been used for any stream. The most likely reason is either
>   wrong type (e.g. a video option with no video streams) or that it
>   is a private option of some encoder which was not actually used
>   for any stream.
>
> but I'm sort of not deciphering the meaning, and further confused by the
> fact that it all seems to work anyway -- I get the desired timecode in
> my output movie as before.
>
> Is there some other method I should be using, and/or what is this
> warning (?) really trying to tell me?

This is a recent and somewhat confusing message.

The problem seems to be that the '-timecode' option is used for adding
both .mov timecode streams that can be used in any mov with any codec,
and also for setting an mpeg stream timecode in a variety of muxers. The
warning is happening because you are coding to a non mpeg stream, but
have asked for timecode  and so the MPEG GOP timecode side of the code
is telling you there is no valid stream to add the timecode too. However
since you are trying to add a mov wrapper timecode this is not an issue.

IMHO this is a bug, as the warning is incorrect in this situation.

--
Tim