[FFmpeg-user] j2k encoder/decoder status

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jul 18 12:24:47 CEST 2013

Robert Krüger <krueger <at> lesspain.de> writes:

> there has been a lot of work on the j2k encoder/decoder
> recently.

I don't think any work on the encoder was done recently.

> Could someone post what the current status compared to
> libopenjpeg is

The native decoder is (still) not bit-exact, it does not
support many (less common) pix-fmts.
(Or in other words: It is exactly as "experimental" as
before.)

> and what the short-term plan is or is this too early
> to ask because this is still in progress?

I suspect this is not the first time you ask such a
question: Why do think there is a "plan"?
Do you know how open-source development works?
(And I don't mean kernel development that at least to
some part is driven by hardware manufacturers.)

This is apparently also the reason why you misunderstood
this mail (that was not meant nonconstructive at all):
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/45798/focus=45826

Carl Eugen