[FFmpeg-user] Optimal hardware for use with ProRes.

Oliver Fromme oliver at fromme.com
Fri Jul 19 11:47:18 CEST 2013

Andrew Back wrote:
 > On 19 July 2013 09:10, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
 > > Less faster CPU cores are much better, the overhead
 > > when doing multi-threading with FFmpeg is enormous.
 > [...]
 > Good to know that fewer faster cores is better!

I made an interesting observation recently:  When I bought
an intel Core i3-3225 (two cores) for a server machine, I
discovered that it encodes to h.264 with ffmpeg almost exactly
as fast as my workstation which has an AMD Phenom-II X6
(six cores).  And the latter draws twice as much electrical
power.

Best regards
   Oliver