[FFmpeg-user] Does converting to yuv444p by default make sense?

Werner Robitza werner.robitza at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 18:05:08 CEST 2013

> It's INFO level, and thus it's not highlighted in yellow, we could
> raise the message to the WARNING level.

At least to me that would make sense, given the number of times I've helped
users troubleshoot that particular problem.

> > By the way, I wouldn't go as far to say "outdated media players" – can
> you
> > name a few players that support it?
>
> ffplay, VLC, MPlayer, in general all up-to-date FFmpeg-based players
> (that is most Linux/FLOSS media players) just to make an example.

Latest stable VLC 2.0.7 on OS X simply crashes with a seg fault for all
yuv444p videos I generated with x264 and recent ffmpeg, but that's probably
for the VLC people to investigate.
Thanks for the info though! That clears up a few points.