[FFmpeg-user] ntsc-dvd doesn't default to interlaced.

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Sun Jul 28 03:16:58 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 05:09:33PM -0400, Andy Civil wrote:
> The way I'm analysing my output, is that I view it in VLC. What should
> happen is that I see the 'comb' effect on any moving edges, but if I choose
> to turn de-interlacing on, that comb effect disappears.

With interlaced video, you better see the "comb" effect with motion video.
But, there is fine print: 1) if the source was from pure interlaced video,
i.e., a live event; 2) the source is 2:3 pulldown video, where 3 frames will
not have the effect and 2 frames will.

You won't have the effect if the source video was progressive.  You might not
get the effect if converting 25 fps source to 29.97 fps.  The 25 fps source
might be progressive in nature (Doctor Who for example).  It depends on how
the conversion to 29.97 fps is done and if told to do interlaced.

There are lots of factors involved with video.

Enjoy.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com | vidiot at vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII