[FFmpeg-user] ntsc-dvd doesn't default to interlaced.

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Jul 28 04:45:21 CEST 2013

Andy Civil <andycivil <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> I was a long hold-out on MEncoder because for years
> >> it was the only one that had interlace-aware scaling
> >
> > Interlace-aware scaling that was part of FFmpeg
> > for several years, yes.
>
> It was 2008 that I tried to get FFmpeg to do it, and
> I was directed to MEncoder.

Sorry, I was not clear above.
It appears (iirc) that while MEncoder used the same
scaler that is now (for several years) an integral
part of FFmpeg, the interface that ffmpeg (the cli)
originally provided did not allow the users to
specify interlaced scaling, MPlayer's scale filter
did.

I would not rule out that the reason for the FFmpeg
limitation was that no bug report was ever opened...

Carl Eugen