[FFmpeg-user] ntsc-dvd doesn't default to interlaced.

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Sun Jul 28 07:28:48 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:31:56PM -0400, Andy Civil wrote:
> Because I first tried the interlace-aware scaler, and I was unable to make
> it also switch from TFF input to BFF output. (My camera produces TFF video,
> being the HD standard, but a BFF DVD-video is more common. Yes, I know that
> you can also have a TFF DVD-video, but I want my output to be as 'normal'
> as possible.)

Interesting.  I never knew that the DVD MPEG-2 video was supposed to be
BFF.  I alawys thought it was TFF.  But... since pretty much all movies are
placed on DVD as 23.976p, with pulldown flags, the DVD player will convert
the MPEG-2 to analog NTSC 2:3 output.

As far as being normal as possible... the person who plays the DVD could
care less which field is first, as long as it plays correctly on the analog
TV.  If played on a computer, or any other display, it isn't going to make
a difference.

IMHO, you are overthinking the result.  As the saying goes... KISS.

> Because it's being scaled, some lines will be directly taken from the
> input, some will be guesses, depending on how they fall, no? You can only
> eliminate guesses if the output size is a factor of the input size e.g. 480
> -> 240.

Right.  But, you skip one of the guessing games instead of having two.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com | vidiot at vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
        6082066843 at email.uscc.net (140 char limit)       \ / Ribbon Campaign