[FFmpeg-user] Create slideshow with ffmpeg from still images

thljcl jiachielee at live.com
Tue Jul 30 20:13:32 CEST 2013

Andy, the wallpaper slideshow I created lasts for 22 minutes 30 seconds. It’s
much longer than the “relativity” slideshow. You did not download it, did
you? Well, I admit that it’s mainly due to my own laziness to specify
varying length for different slide. When each slide has the same duration,
it requires less efforts. By the way, even though it’s lossless compression,
its average bit rate is at 765 kbps. Well, if it’s animation or live
recording, I would say that the bit rate would be around 10 Mbps or larger.
Yes, it’s unbelievably large for lossless format. That also shows how much
data we lose during lossy compression. Lossy compression is a good choice
for distribution, local playback. But we try to do editing, we would try
keep as much fidelity as possible.
I do study special relativity quite a lot. But the slides are written by
someone else using PowerPoint.  I just ‘borrowed’ it without permission.
Well, it’s publicly available anyway. Ha ha… Special Relativity is so
complex that I don’t even know where to begin with. There are so much to
talk about. It’s not about ‘special relativity’. So I just ‘borrowed’ the
material.
Well, for animation or live recording, using CRF value of 18+- can achieve
the average bit rate around 3000 Kbps. I usually do the calculation first
before I decide which CRF value to be used; sometimes smaller; sometimes
larger; it depends on the complexity of the source.