[FFmpeg-user] Does converting to yuv444p by default make sense?

thljcl jiachielee at live.com
Wed Jul 31 21:13:10 CEST 2013

Andy Furniss-2 wrote
> thljcl wrote:
>
>> The short answer: YUV444 can fully represent all color information in
>> RGB.
>
> Did you even read the pdf I linked to?
>
> Maybe you know better than him - a fellow of smpte according to
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Poynton

While Charles Poynton may not show me how he derives the inverse of
transformation matrix, he apparently arrives at the same conclusion as I do
with regards to the inverse of transformation matrix. Note that our
equations may seem different to each other as I specifically rewritten it in
different forms in the final slides. But if you pay close attention, they
are basically the same.
Take a look at
http://www.poynton.com/notes/colour_and_gamma/ColorFAQ.html#RTFToC29 and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDVk-fRPzxU. It’s a good thing to know that
the expert you recommend actually shares the same idea as I do.