[FFmpeg-user] Adding Subtitles Problem...

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Jun 18 00:41:00 CEST 2013

Mike Kavanagh <mike.kavanagh <at> netpipe.biz> writes:

> it fails to display any subtitles when I play the
> output using either ffplay

FFplay cannot show test-based subtitles, try MPlayer.

> or wmp.

Does wmp really support mov_text?
I never tested.

Note that QuickTime probably will not play the
subtitles in the output file, see ticket #1845.

> Here is the command:
>
> ffmpeg -i MKTEST.mp4 -i test.srt -scodec mov_text \
> MKTEST_ST.mp4

Since your mp4 file contains subtitles, you have to
tell FFmpeg that you want it to use the srt subtitles:
Try -map 1:0

> The source video does not contain any subtitles

(That seems not correct but that is unrelated.)

Carl Eugen