[FFmpeg-user] hardcode dvdsub subtitle from separate file

thistle at phwaap.com thistle at phwaap.com
Thu Jun 20 16:44:39 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Nicolas George <
nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Le primidi 1er messidor, an CCXXI, thistle at phwaap.com a écrit :
> > [mpeg @ 0x80b4e4a20] sub2video: using 720x576 canvas
> > [Parsed_overlay_0 @ 0x80b4e2e20] Overlay area (0,0)<->(720,576) not
> within
> > the main area (0,0)<->(640,272) or zero-sized
>
> The problem is obvious here: the subtitles are made for a 720×576 video (or
> assumed to be) while your video is 640×272. You need to scale/crop one or
> the other. Downscaling the subtitles to 640×360 and then cropping to
> 640×272
> is probably what happened to the original video.

Thanks Nicolas.  I guess I found it strange that every video with dvdsubs
that I tried had this problem, even though they all play fine in smplayer
and others.  I found a link to the -canvas_size patch (
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2013-February/139782.html) which
apparently can be used to fix the size sub2video assumes.  With the latest
devel the error went away and I could set the same canvas size but I still
couldn't get the subtitles to display.  So I just ended up downloading srt
files.

Zach