[FFmpeg-user] Enable all audio channels

MI mi.lists.ffmpeg at alma.ch
Sat Jun 22 15:23:40 CEST 2013

I noticed this from Carl Eugen Hoyos in another thread ("Sony XAVC transcoding").

> (Note that you would have to add an option to
> make all tracks default in any case, imo we should not
> change the current default case. The option does not
> exist yet, mostly because I still don't understand
> the use case completely.)

If I understand correctly, there is no option to enable (mark as "default") all audio
tracks simultaneously. This can be done in QT Pro by clicking the "default" checkbox
for every tracks.

The frequent use case in professional post-production for this is for delivering
Prores Quicktimes with all existing audio tracks. These are never used directly for
playback, but for re-encoding to DCP, DVD, Bluray, VOD, etc. with various tools.

The common case I encounter is to have a single language in the .mov, as 8 individual
mono tracks of the final audio mixes: Lt, Rt for stereo, and L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs for
5.1 (in that order).

A related question would be how to label these single mono tracks? I think ffmpeg
does have the ability to label 1:0 as "Lt", 2:0 as "Rt", etc. but I'm not sure how
this would be done, and I think the names ffmpeg uses are actually different.