[FFmpeg-user] Inverse Telecine with fieldmatch filter

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jun 26 18:11:26 CEST 2013

L. Lee <llee040 <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:

> >> For 720p I used your suggestion to interlace and deinterlace:
> >
> >(I should add that I meanwhile realized it may be
> >faster to use fps=30000/1001 instead of interlace)
>
> You're not suggesting that the output file should be
> 30 fps, are you?

(skip this)

No, I am suggesting that instead of using the interlace
filter (that needs not much but some computation power)
you can use the fps filter that does the same for this
use-case (and should need no computation power at all).

If you cannot reproduce a speed gain, it may make no
difference.

(until here)

What I probably meant (iirc) was that you could try to
remove both the interlace and the fieldmatch filter and
instead use fps (as above) and decimate.
If you trust the television provider to have done their
work correctly, the output should be identical but
much less cpu power will be needed.

(Remember that your input is not strictly telecined but
telecined and deinterlaced, it may also be "telecined"
by simply repeatings frames - instead of fields - which
would be simpler for the provider and would not need
fieldmatch at all.)

Carl Eugen