[FFmpeg-user] problem with make while attempting to build git clone of ffmpeg on OS X 10.6.8

Paul Sturbaum psturbs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 17:41:30 CET 2013

I cloned the source of ffmpeg from git using the instructions on ffmpeg.org.  I am running 10.6.8 on an Intel iMac with Xcode 3.2.6 (last version for 10.6).
Everything seemed to go well with './configure' but when I hit 'make' I got a good ways in before this popped up:
TXT	doc/fate.txt
CC	ffmpeg.o
CC	ffmpeg_opt.o
CC	ffmpeg_filter.o
CC	cmdutils.o
LD	ffmpeg_g
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

I don't know enough of this to know what to do.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance,
Paul