[FFmpeg-user] problem with make while attempting to build git clone of ffmpeg on OS X 10.6.8

Paul Sturbaum psturbs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 02:33:05 CET 2013

On Mar 1, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Paul Sturbaum <psturbs <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Undefined symbols:
>>  "_iconv", referenced from:
>>      _check_iconv in ffconf.IeTIdDsE.o
>>     (maybe you meant: _check_iconv)
>> ld: symbol(s) not found
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> check_lib2 iconv.h iconv -liconv
>> check_func_headers iconv.h iconv -liconv
>
> Thank you, that was helpful!
>
> One last test: Please run configure, run make ffmpeg.
> (You should see the iconv error message that you
> already posted.)
>
> Please run "make V=1 ffmpeg" (without doing anything
> in-between) and post the output of "make V=1 ffmpeg"

I ran $./configure then $make then $make V=1 ffmpeg.  Here is the output:
$ make V=1 ffmpeg
gcc -Llibavcodec -Llibavdevice -Llibavfilter -Llibavformat -Llibavresample -Llibavutil -Llibpostproc -Llibswscale -Llibswresample -Wl,-dynamic,-search_paths_first  -o ffmpeg_g ffmpeg_opt.o ffmpeg_filter.o ffmpeg.o cmdutils.o  -lavdevice -lavfilter -lavformat -lavcodec -lswresample -lswscale -lavutil -L/opt/local/lib -lSDLmain -Wl,-framework,AppKit -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -lm -liconv -lbz2 -lz
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

I just realized I ran 'make' instead of 'make ffmpeg' in step 2, I hope that didn't affect anything.
Thanks,
Paul

PS
Since I successfully ran 'sudo make install' after running './configure ==disable-iconv' I shouldn't have to re-run those commands after the above tests, right?  Since I never ran 'sudo make install' successfully it hasn't overwritten the previous installation, correct?
Thanks in advance,
Paul