[FFmpeg-user] problem with make while attempting to build git clone of ffmpeg on OS X 10.6.8

Paul Sturbaum psturbs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 18:48:01 CET 2013

On Mar 4, 2013, at 7:28 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Paul Sturbaum <psturbs <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Do you still want me to run the commands from
>> the email you posted before this one?
>
> No, the situation changes every few hours;-)
>
> Could you confirm that with current git head,
> the following works fine:
> $ ./configure && make

NO.
Output:
License: LGPL version 2.1 or later
Creating config.mak and config.h...
config.h is unchanged
config.asm is unchanged
libavutil/avconfig.h is unchanged
LD	ffmpeg_g
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

> But the following fails at the linking stage:
> $ ./configure --enable-iconv && make

Fails again at:
MAN	doc/libavdevice.3
MAN	doc/libavfilter.3
CC	ffmpeg.o
CC	ffmpeg_opt.o
CC	ffmpeg_filter.o
CC	cmdutils.o
LD	ffmpeg_g
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _avcodec_decode_subtitle2 in libavcodec.a(utils.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

With many warnings and notes from make along the way.  I will pipe stdout to a file if you are interested in anything from that.

I did verify that
./configure --disable-iconv && make
without error.

> Does the following patch make
> "./configure --enable-iconv" fail?
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/160087

I'm sorry but I don't know exactly what to do with this.  Please instruct.
Thanks for your patience,
Paul Sturbaum