[FFmpeg-user] ffv1.3 memory overflow

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Mar 13 09:02:34 CET 2013

Quoting Johann Rekowski <johann.rekowski at googlemail.com>:

> Is there anybody that knows of a good lossless codec that doesn't
> cause much heat on the cpu, while still doing some compressing,
> because my HDD isn't that fast to be able to write 1080p raw 30fps
> input in time.
> Or any setting in ffv1 or such codecs that could help me reducing cpu usage?

Since you didn't have any "pix_fmt" argument in your ffmpeg
x11grab-capture commandline, I presume it's something like rgb24.

You might want to try downsampling it to something like yuv422p or
even yuv420p (=default HD video pix_fmt)?

Just add the argument like this, after e.g. the framerate:
"-pix_fmt yuv420p"

Regards,
Pb