[FFmpeg-user] ffv1.3 memory overflow

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Wed Mar 13 17:31:09 CET 2013

Quoting Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org>:

> Le tridi 23 ventôse, an CCXXI, Peter B. a écrit :
>> You might want to try downsampling it to something like yuv422p or
>> even yuv420p (=default HD video pix_fmt)?
>
> Johann requested lossless: RGB -> YUV420P is not lossless. On screen
> captures, this can be especially noticeable.

I know that he wanted to do lossless, but if it's just not possible to
capture 1080p30 rgb24 in realtime with his hardware, something's gotta
give :)

I've suggested going to subsamples YUV, because I know FFv1.3's
perormance there.
I think from visual quality degradation, screen captures might suffer
more from lossy mpeg-like compression than colorspace conversion. Not
too sure, though.

Another interesting option might be to use some motion-png codec for
screen-capture?

Regards,
Pb