[FFmpeg-user] Can I add gps coordinates, as a watermark, to my video using ffmpeg

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 08:09:09 CET 2013

Yes, you can do that easily using text subtitles. Here are some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/user/fvisagie. Not such great footage but that's not
what you're looking for ;).

In case you're not familiar with the typical workflow:

1. generate new (or format existing) textual information to subtitle format
file
2. encode your video, specifying the subtitle file as one of the inputs

There's a wealth of information on subtitle file formats on the Internet.
The most common hobbyist text formats are SubRip (.srt), MicroDVD (.sub),
SubStation Alpha (.ssa) and Advanced SubStation Alpha (.ass).

For step 1 you can use Notepad if you're familiar with the format you want
the subtitles in, or Subtitle Workshop, or Aegisub, etc.

Step 2 I believe you can now do directly with recent ffmpeg versions.
Alternatively you can input your video to ffmpeg from Avisynth, where you
can use the TextSub() filter for adding .ssa format subtitles.