[FFmpeg-user] how to use videocodec copy for ffserver

Anthony Brown av at bsbc.nb.ca
Thu Mar 21 11:55:32 CET 2013

On 13-03-21 07:43 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Soho Soho123 <soho123.2012 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But how to set VideoCodec for ffserver without encode in ffserver.conf?
>
> That is not supported iirc, patch welcome!

I would be interested in such a thing too, but would it even be possible?

Correct me if I misunderstand, but ffserver doesn't 'know' what format
video will be arriving in (ie it's not part of the .conf file), but it
does know what format it has to go out in.  The input to ffserver comes
from an ffmpeg instance which, presumably could be feeding anything in,
could it not?

If I am wrong that would be great.  My setup is an HDV camera sending
mpeg2 HDV via IEEE1394 to dvgrab at 18.6Mbps which pipes to ffmpeg which
dumps to ffserver configured to stream an mpeg stream at 18.6Mbps.
AFAIK it is still transcoding, though I have enough horsepower running
it so as not to notice.

--

Anthony Brown
Audiovisual coordinator