[FFmpeg-user] Playback issues with HLS on Android

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue May 14 18:43:34 CEST 2013

On May 13, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Andrew Sinclair <ajsinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Sorry to pipe in late but after spending a lot of time recently on Android
> I can tell you there is no simple answer for HLS to work consistently
> across all devices. The underlying issue is that every hardware variation
> has a different video decoder chip and by nature this means that they all
> have slightly different video players compiled which are then called via
> JNI from the Android application layer.
>
> Now while many of these players are deriviatives of ffmpeg/ffplay they are
> often from way old versions.
>
> Best bet is to only go with a single bitrate if you want it to work
> reasonably well as multi bitrate will vary massively from device to device.
> If you really want good Android support you need to go with a custom media
> player and you can launch these via a webpage using an intent or just embed
> them in an app.
>
> For maximum compatibility I have also found that some Android devices don't
> like a lot of variation between what they get in the playlists and what
> they see in the segments so you should force keyframes so that the segment
> doesn't have chop on where the next I frame comes. I have been using a
> wrapper around ffmpeg to generate the keyframe string
> https://gist.github.com/sinkers/5567058  though should time permit I would
> like to get this into the ffmpeg codebase.
Suggestions to improve encoding speed and lowering bitrate by use of the crf function and anamorphic instead of a PAR of 1:1
By dividing build.sh in 5 pieces, 1 for each resolution, for example 1.sh - 5.sh.
Remove the 2 pass solution to 1 pass
In stead of -s 960x540 use 604x540 and for -s 1280x720 use 896x720
Run in parallel with
time ./5.sh 2>/dev/null & time ./4.sh 2>/dev/null & time ./3.sh 2>/dev/null & time ./2.sh 2>/dev/null & time ./1.sh 2>/dev/null &
On my 4-core machine encoding drops from
user	8m49.890s
user	1m19.143s
Total size of all encoded files drops from
30M	tsorig ; original build.sh
19M	ts        ; crf 22 instead of bitrate and anamorphic vs PAR 1:1

I don't know of anamorphic works on Android on Apple iPod Touch TV iPad all works perfect

Henk