[FFmpeg-user] Remuxed XDCAM file no longer accepted by FCP7

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Wed May 15 18:58:02 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com>wrote:

> > Using git bisect you can normally find the specific breaking revision
> > within 7 recompiles. Google will explain more.
>
> This does rather assume you're in a position to compile it, which most
> people aren't.

I don't know about "most" when talking about readers on this list but sure,
there are quite a few people who use ffmpeg by downloading builds and have
never compiled software and don't know what git is and probably won't start
learning that in such a case. But the fact that devs on this list are
asking bug reporters to do as much as possible to prepare finding a bug has
nothing to do with ignorance AFAICS but is simply due to the fact that the
ratio of users reporting bugs/devs fixing them ist probably at least 1:100
and if only the people who can do that extra work, do this, this saves a
significant portion of time of the few people keeping the code in this
project working and thus makes sense to me. after all the vast majority of
coding here is unpaid volunteer work.

what's going to happen if someone doesn't do git bisect and just files a
bug report? it's less likely to get fixed quickly but I doubt it is going
to get ignored because of that. you cannot expect support processes like
you get when you pay for a support contract of a product but I guess that
has been mentioned before.