[FFmpeg-user] create an animated GIF from set of images

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Thu May 16 22:36:52 CEST 2013

2013/5/16 Eugene Dzhurinsky <jdevelop at gmail.com>:
> Hello!
>
> I am wondering if there is a way to create animated GIF skipping the creation
> of AVI file? Most of resources found in google suggest 2-step conversion:
>
> images -> AVI
> AVI -> GIF
>
> I'd like to avoid step of creation AVI and create animated GIF from images,
> passed to STDIN.
>
> Is it possible?

It is possible.
I guess you just found HOWTOs related to creation of animation from
existing videos.
I've just tried creating test.gif from test00.png, test01.png:
ffmpeg -i test%02d.png test.gif

What about taking input straightly from stdin, my fast tries didn't succeed:
cat test*.png | ffmpeg -i - test.gif
cat test*.gif | ffmpeg -i - -pix_fmt rgb24 test.gif
And i believe the problem is with ffmpeg not quite understanding
input, and involving intermediate AVI conversion is nonsense.
But you can try to dig deeper and find out how to do, or stick with
the way shown above.

--
Andrey Utkin