[FFmpeg-user] problem with final step

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Tue Nov 5 23:48:58 CET 2013

zeep.it wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> i use Centos 6 with whm/cpanel
>
> entering with ssh on my server @root
>
> following the procedure from this link
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CentosCompilationGuide
>
> I followed all the steps up to this command:
>
>  ./configure --prefix="$HOME/ffmpeg_build" --extra-cflags="-I$HOME/ffmpeg_build/include" --extra-ldflags="-L$HOME/ffmpeg_build/lib" --bindir="$HOME/bin" --extra-libs="-ldl" --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-libfdk_aac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264
>
> I encountered the following problem >> response:
>
> Unable to create temporary file in /some/other/dir.
>
> If you think configure made a mistake, make sure you are using the latest
> version from Git.  If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
> ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org mailing list or IRC #ffmpeg on irc.freenode.net.
> Include the log file "config.log" produced by configure as this will help
> solving the problem.
>
> how can I fix ?
>
> thank you very much

Not really an ffmpeg related question... and here's a suggestion to figure this out...

1) Issue the - id - command and notice your user + group (which relates to your login).

2) Issue the - ls -ld * - command and notice the user + group of other files.
    Likely this will show you the problem.

3) Issue the - touch foo - command to see if you can create a file.

4) Now... Issue the command - cd dir - where dir is where you're running configure,
    then do steps 1-3 again. Likely this will show you the problem.

5) Because the message mentions "temporary file", this may have to do with incorrect
    permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp (probably /tmp) which your Hosting Company will
    have to fix.

6) You can issue - touch /tmp/foo - and if you get an error... refer to #5.

7) I don't use Centos + a quick fix may be to add some or all of these to your .bash_profile

    export TEMP=$HOME/tmp
    export TMP=$HOME/tmp
    export TMPDIR=$HOME/tmp
    export TEMPDIR=$HOME/tmp