[FFmpeg-user] Embed thumbnail on MP4

Rich Alderwick richard.alderwick at johnsonfleming.com
Thu Nov 14 16:58:59 CET 2013

Hi there

I was wondering if it was possible to embed some video art into an MP4 file using FFMPEG?

If so, can you please tell me what the command is?

I know it is possible to add video art using some software called MetaX, but I was wondering if it could be done via FFMPEG.

I have added video art to an mp4 file using MetaX, then used the "FFMPEG -i" command to see if there was any information about the image. This is what I got:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'input.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : M4V
    minor_version   : 1
    compatible_brands: M4V mp42isom
    creation_time   : 2013-10-10 13:43:27
    title           : TitleOfVideo
    description     : short des
    synopsis        : long des
    media_type      : 10
  Duration: 00:00:11.01, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 743 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv), 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2013-10-10 13:43:27
      handler_name    : Mainconcept MP4 Video Media Handler
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 189 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      creation_time   : 2013-10-10 13:43:27
      handler_name    : Mainconcept MP4 Sound Media Handler
    Stream #0:2: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc), 160x90 [SAR 96:96 DAR 16:9], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc

As you can see on the bottom row, it detects the image is present because the 160x90 was the size of the image in pixels

Many thanks for any help you can offer!
Cheers

Rich Alderwick
Multimedia Developer
Tel:

 0870 242 8600

Fax:

 0870 242 8699

Email:

 richard.alderwick at johnsonfleming.com<mailto:richard.alderwick at johnsonfleming.com>

Web:

 www.johnsonfleming.com<http://www.johnsonfleming.com>

[cid:image001.gif at 01CEE151.DD9FEFD0]<http://www.johnsonfleming.com/>

[cid:image002.gif at 01CEE151.DD9FEFD0]

Johnson Fleming Group Limited
Fleming House, Bromsgrove Enterprise Park, Aston Road, Bromsgrove B60 3AL

Johnson Fleming Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register number 599255, see www.fca.org.uk/register for registration details) and registered in England and Wales No 06272390. VAT Registration No 860427236.

Johnson Fleming Limited, Johnson Fleming Administration Services Limited and Johnson Fleming Services Limited are appointed representatives of Johnson Fleming Group Limited.

Registered Office: Johnson Fleming Group Limited, Fleming House, Bromsgrove Enterprise Park, Aston Road, Bromsgrove. B60 3AL.

The content of this communication is for information only and does not represent financial advice. If you require personalised independent financial advice this can be provided by Johnson Fleming on request at which time you will be referred to a duly authorised Adviser. Johnson Fleming reserves the right to charge a fee for personal financial advice services and any fee payable will be agreed before we carry out any work on your behalf.

This e-mail is private and confidential and is protected by copyright. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by other legal rules. Access by or disclosure to anyone other than the intended recipient for any reason other than the business purpose, for which this message is intended, is unauthorised. If you receive it in error, notify us, delete it and do not make use of or copy it.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Johnson Fleming does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Johnson Fleming unless otherwise specifically stated.

This e-mail and any attachments should be treated with caution as they may contain viruses. Johnson Fleming has taken reasonable precautions to minimise this risk, but we advise that this e-mail and any attachments are virus checked before they are opened as Johnson Fleming can take no responsibility for any computer viruses which might be transferred by way of this e-mail.

www.johnsonfleming.com