[FFmpeg-user] Can Intel Xeon Phi improve ffmpeg performance?

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 22:54:07 CEST 2013

2013/10/1 Stephan Asovski <s0527705277 at gmail.com>:
> I'm building a server for video encoding and I'm planning to use the latest
> Xenon e5-2697 v2.
> Can Xeon Phi help me improve ffmpeg encoding performance?

As far as i googled out, Phi coprocessor occurs logically as separate
network host. So it can be leveraged easily in two ways:
1) Running generic application straightly on it. You can ssh to the
coprocessor and do whatever you need in its internal Linux.
2) Using computation distribution technologies like MPI, OpenMP or NUMA.

But as far as i know, ffmpeg does not leverage any of MPI, OpenMP and NUMA.

--
Andrey Utkin