[FFmpeg-user] aresample out_channel_layout values

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Thu Oct 3 18:31:50 CEST 2013

* Stefano Sabatini on Thursday, October 03, 2013 at 09:14:33 +0200
> On date Wednesday 2013-10-02 22:32:58 +0100, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> * Christian Ebert on Tuesday, October 01, 2013 at 16:22:21 +0100
>>> What are the correct values to pass to in/out_channel_layout as
>>> aresample option?
>>
>> Attempt to answer my own question:
>>
>> 1c or 2c (from libavutil/channel_layout.h) do not throw an error
>> but do not seem to have any effect.
>>
>> Plain integers 1 or 2 seem to work, but what's the difference
>> then to specifying out_channel_count=1 ?
>>
>>> Finally: What would be the difference between:
>>>
>>> aformat=channel_layouts=stereo
>>> and
>>> aresample=out_channel_layout=<stereo?>
>>
>> Still curious about this one.
>
> They use different parsers. aresample accepts an integer, while
> aformat understand the more human-friendly symbolic notation.

ok, but how would you denote e.g. aformat=channel_layouts=downmix
in an integer? 2? But that's already stereo.

In what way does this integer differ from channel count?

> We should probably extend the option system to accept channel
> layout string specifications.

Or document a mapping of those integers to their layout meanings,
yes, that would be helpful.

At the moment I'm not 100% sure whether out_channel_layout=2 has
the same effect as out_channel_count=2 by coincidence.

--
\black\trash movie    _MORALISK  ANSTALT_
                        "Nix verstanden."

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/moraliskanstalt.php