[FFmpeg-user] xyz to rgb conversion

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Oct 7 00:21:43 CEST 2013

SK Cinema <senthil <at> real-image.com> writes:

> > Please provide a tiff sample containing xyz.
>
> Here's a sample of a tiff containing X'Y'Z'. Google
> Viewer seems unable to display this tiff correctly so
> please download and view locally.
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1U1rZVj1f7pbXdlZkFucjhTQk0/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Ironically, I made this tiff with an older ffmpeg build
> (2013-04-18) which did not yet have the XYZ-RGB conversion!

I may misunderstand but this sounds to me as if no software
would be able to recognize this file as XYZ or do I miss
something?

[...]

As said elsewhere, please try to explain what is wrong with
the conversion by FFmpeg? I suspect (maybe I am wrong) that
no developer know why other coefficients may be needed.
(In the sense of: Which usecases need other coefficients
and which ones.)

> But again, this is defeated by the XYZ-RGB conversion
> happening prior to the 3D LUT being applied, which is
> not the desired result.

This sounds as if it could be fixed but it would need (for
me, probably not for other developers) a proper report.

Please fix your quoting, Carl Eugen