[FFmpeg-user] Changing DAR ?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Oct 10 02:10:24 CEST 2013

In message <CAPYw7P42sGBgdY0zdTL2gC3tjc7Lx6ABAgZsUu0=JFyxf-p+Tw at mail.gmail.com>
Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/8/13, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>> I understand now that within the arguments given in/for the setdar and
>> setsar sub-options, when it is desired to express a ratio, that ratio
>> must be written in the form:
>>
>> 	numerator/denominator
>>
>> and now that I've looked at the examples located at the URL just above
>> I can even understand why this is necessary (i.e. because colons are
>> used as sub-sub-option delimiters/separators, so they can't be used within
>> the actual arguments given for the sub-sub-options) but still, I could
>> have sworn that I had seen some examples somewhere which showed ratios
>> of the form:
>>
>> 	numerator:denominator
>>
>> being used or specified within some different ffmpeg options (or
>> sub-options).
>> If so, then I'd like to just re-assert that it is quite confusing to the
>> end-luser (like me) to have to write ratios in different formats, depending
>> in the specific context within the ffmpeg command line one is dealing with.
>
>The documentation clearly states that in that case ':' should be escaped.

Where?

I sure didn't see it.

But in any case that is almost besides the point, since what I was
bemoaning is just the fact that in different contexts within the ffmpeg
command line, the usual and _normative_ notation one uses to express
a ratio is different... probably unnecessarily so.  (And that somewhat
bewildering inconsistancy is reflected very clearly in the online ffmpeg
documentation itself.)