[FFmpeg-user] Changing DAR ?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Oct 11 01:14:37 CEST 2013

In message <CAFHbX1L7jjWQZJvta1SG_fpj5fXObs6cmc5_49ruLmxO5+hwNw at mail.gmail.com>
, you wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette
><rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I don't mean to be flip, but you really have succeeded in
>> confusing me.  First you say that "-acodec copy" and -vf don't
>> work together, and then, when I repeat what seems like that exact
>> same thing you said, you tell me I'm wrong.
>
>Different letters have different meanings.
>
>Carl said "VIDEO filters (-vf) dont work with -VCODEC copy".
>
>You said "-ACODEC copy is fundamentally incompatible with -vf"

Arrrrrrgggggg!  Yes.  May bad.  I'm sorry.

I never have been a good typist.

>acodec is not the same as vcodec.

This, at least, I *am* aware of.

>I assume you meant to say "vcodec", but it is not what you wrote.

Correct.  I misspoke.  sorry.

So, just to be sure now, please confirm that it _is_ indeed the case that
"-vcodec copy" is incompatible with the "-vf <anything>" option, yes?

Assuming so, I go back to what I said yesterday... It would have been
minimally polite and decent if ffmpeg had told me that those options are
in fact incompatible, you know, like fer instance by doing what 99.99%
of all other well written programs do when given incompatible command
line options, i.e. issue an error and quit, _without_ producing any
output file.

At least that way I would know that I needed to delve more deeply into
the documentation, and find out what the issue is, rather than believing
that command line options I had given were being obeyed, when in fact they
were just being silently ignored.

It may seem like a small point, but it's an important one, I think.

Regards,
rfg