[FFmpeg-user] Correct way to get preview stream with no encoding?

Jason Runta jrunta at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 19:37:04 CEST 2013

Not sure if this is the best way, but here's what I ended up doing:

ffmpeg -y -f dshow -threads 3 -s 640x480 -i video="Microsoft LifeCam
Cinema":audio="Desktop Microphone (Cinema - Mi" -c:v copy -an -f rawvideo
udp://localhost:1234 -f flv -c:v libx264 -tune zerolatency -preset
ultrafast -b:v 400k -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 2 -b:a 56k
-maxrate 750k "myMovie.flv"

and then viewing my video from ffplay:
ffplay -s 640x480 -pix_fmt yuyv422 -f rawvideo -i udp://localhost:1234

I'm processing everything off one ffmpeg call here instead of doing
subsequent calls to ffmpeg, and specifying to use up to 3 threads to
accomplish the raw video output (no audio) and then also encoding and
saving the file out.

Is there a better way? How about getting my stream to ffplay, is streaming
point-to-point over UDP the best option?