[FFmpeg-user] Weird characters in created passlogfile on Windows

Thierry Lelegard thierry at lelegard.fr
Wed Oct 16 14:51:02 CEST 2013

> De: "jacky" <renaux.jacky at orange.fr>
>
> I havent tested with your particular case but it seems to be related
> to windows dos page (characters dos convertion page : chcp)

I understand what you mean but this cannot be the right explanation.

I wrote that the same sequence of characters was used three times
on the command line: ffmpeg -i hè.ts -pass 1 -passlogfile hè hè.mpg

However, only the sequence for -passlogfile is interpreted differently:

-rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group      258179 Oct 15 22:50 hè-0.log
-rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group     5261312 Oct 15 22:50 hè.mpg
-rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group    18800000 Oct 15 22:50 hè.ts

If your explanation were right, the output file hè.mpg would also have
been created with the same gotcha. And the input file hè.ts would not
even have been found in the first place.

So, ffmpeg treats command line arguments and code pages quite properly.
There is something specific in the creation of the passlogfile.

-Thierry