[FFmpeg-user] Weird characters in created passlogfile on Windows

Rodney Baker rodney.baker at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 16 15:15:53 CEST 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:51:02 Thierry Lelegard wrote:
> > De: "jacky" <renaux.jacky at orange.fr>
> >
> > I havent tested with your particular case but it seems to be related
> > to windows dos page (characters dos convertion page : chcp)
>
> I understand what you mean but this cannot be the right explanation.
>
> I wrote that the same sequence of characters was used three times
> on the command line: ffmpeg -i hè.ts -pass 1 -passlogfile hè hè.mpg
>
> However, only the sequence for -passlogfile is interpreted differently:
>
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group      258179 Oct 15 22:50 hè-0.log
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group     5261312 Oct 15 22:50 hè.mpg
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 user     group    18800000 Oct 15 22:50 hè.ts
>
> If your explanation were right, the output file hè.mpg would also have
> been created with the same gotcha. And the input file hè.ts would not
> even have been found in the first place.
>
> So, ffmpeg treats command line arguments and code pages quite properly.
> There is something specific in the creation of the passlogfile.
>
> -Thierry
you do, make sure you include the full command line and full, uncut console
output, plus as much detail as possible to reproduce the problem (the way
you've described it here is probably OK). Note that most developers use Linux
though, so be prepared to assist with testing any fixes and provide additional
feedback.

If you know enough to propose a patch it would be welcomed I'm sure. You can
submit the proposed patch to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list.

Rodney.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker at iinet.net.au