[FFmpeg-user] Help with Image render into Video

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Wed Oct 23 16:35:49 CEST 2013

Good morning Ezequiel,

[Top-posting repaired.  Don't do that on this list.  See the list rules
@ http://www.ffmpeg.org/contact.html]

On 10/23/2013 10:04 AM, Ezequiel França wrote:
> On 23-10-2013 06:44, Paul B Mahol wrote:

>>> Assuming you are using "-r 1", "copy" (see below) the
>>> first image once, the second four times, etc.

>>> Use symbolic links instead.
>> Why? That is extremly bad idea.

> Thanks for the responses guys!
>
> The simbolic links and the copy to another directory is exaclty what I
> did not want to do.

Symlinks are not copies.  Leave the original files where they are and
create symlinks in a temporary directory.  Use link names like 0001.jpg,
0002.jpg, 0003.jpg, etc.

> I think, it should work with individual -i "filename.png" on the command
> line syntax.
>
> Am I wrong ?

You are wrong.  Multiple '-i' options are for simultaneous streams, not
consecutive streams.  Like mixing a video in one file with audio in
another.  Search the archives for "concat" for consecutive stream handling.

But for image sequences, ffmpeg expects them in numerical order and a
consistent frame rate.

> For individual times, I think copy the images is the last resource I
> want to try.
>
> I am lookin for the cleaner solution like "ffmpeg -r N -i File1 -r N/2
> -i File2 ... -r Nn -i Filen  videoout.mp4"
>

> There is a solution to do it like that or I will need to do it using
> others ways ?
>
> Do not forget that the images must to be render using a specific order.

Symbolic links with proper numbering solves your problem.  If some
images need to be shown longer than others, give them multiple symlinks.

See this archived thread:
https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2011-December/003538.html

And this one (especially my response w/ script):
https://lists.libav.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2010-September/thread.html#26944

(Comment to list: older archives are only on libav.org!)

HTH,

Phil