[FFmpeg-user] NEVERMIND!!! Re: WTF? Not getting VC-1 output...

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Oct 25 02:02:49 CEST 2013

In message <20131024155643.0430e380 at lrcd.com>, you wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:52:17 -0700
>"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>
>> But now that I've corrected my (stupid) error, I have a different
>> question.  Now I am getting the error:
>>
>>    Unknown encoder 'vc1'
>
>FFmpeg does not have a VC-1 video encoder (AFAIK), but only a decoder.

OK, well, that sure would explain it.

Just out of curiosity, why isn't there a VC-1 encoder?  Is this just
another thing on a (probably big) TO-DO list for ffmpeg?  Or are the
evil forces of darkness and proprietary patents making development
of such a thing, um, problematic?

Just curious.  (I haven't read much about either audio or video codecs,
but what little I have read seems to indicate that this whole area is
replete with patent and proprietary-ness legal land-mines.)