[FFmpeg-user] NEVERMIND!!! Re: WTF? Not getting VC-1 output...

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Fri Oct 25 02:11:30 CEST 2013

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:02:49 -0700
"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why isn't there a VC-1 encoder?  Is this just
> another thing on a (probably big) TO-DO list for ffmpeg? Or are the
> evil forces of darkness and proprietary patents making development
> of such a thing, um, problematic?

It is proprietary. Nobody in the project has reverse engineered it that
I know of, and there probably isn't much interest or motivation since I
don't see many reasons to use VC-1 over H.264.

I'm not sure if post-draft specifications are available or not, but
apparently other encoder implementations have been created.

For more info:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=VC-1