[FFmpeg-user] Image extraction broken with ffmpeg, but not with mencoder. How can I fix this?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 2 22:25:55 CEST 2013

>> The image2 muxer documentation doesn't mention this.  How do I
>> specify an input frame rate (24000/1001) for the above command?

>You need it for whatever reads images not for creating them....

No.  The program which reads the images doesn't care what the frame rate is.

I am not using ffmpeg to read the images.  When I use the select filter, I use it on the same AVI video file that I used to
create the images.

>> Also, I have a huge edit list which took 4 hours to generate.  Is there
>> some formula I can use which will convert the frame numbers that ffmpeg
>> used as output for the jpeg images to the  equivalent frame numbers that
>> ffmpeg
>> will use as input to the select filter?
>
>Use same frame rate for input as for output, its simple enough.

What?  But that won't solve the problem.  Here is the problem again.
I used ffmpeg to generate image files from an AVI video.  The frame
numbers on those image files are incorrect.  Unfortunately, I used those
image files to generate edit lists and those edit lists won't work because
of the ffmpeg bug in generating the image files.

The problem is that ffmpeg uses one formula for numbering frames when
it outputs images and it uses another formula for numbering frames when it
uses the select filter.  I just want to know what the formulas are so I can
convert the frame numbers that ffmpeg used when creating the image files
to the frame numbers that ffmpeg will later use with the select filter.  Then
I can compensate for the ffmpeg bug, and my edits will be frame exact.

Thanks.