[FFmpeg-user] xyz to rgb conversion

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Sep 10 23:28:07 CEST 2013

betonpfeiler <betonpfeiler <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Sometimes we want to make a quick reference movie, for
> subtitling for example. The fastest way is to use the
> j2ks from the MXF Container as source. I know, that
> the 12bit DCI XYZ can't be mapped in the 8-bit RGB
> colorspace, so the direct mapped result becomes a
> little pale and greenish. Also you loose some
> colorinformation, which are outside the RGB colorspace,
> but for subtitling or audiomixes the colors are not so
> important, even an b/w video would be enough.

You misunderstand:
The FFmpeg prores encoder does not care about
colourinformation, RGB colourspace or bits.
It needs input data in YUVx4xxP10 (pix_fmts defined
within FFmpeg), nothing else can be read. If your
input data is in another format, ffmpeg (the
application) will automatically insert a conversion
filter (the scale filter).

If you have a xyz sample that does not get detected
correctly by FFmpeg (tiff or other), please provide it!

Carl Eugen