[FFmpeg-user] sporadic rtmp live stream crashes

Adam Herbst adh38 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 1 00:14:33 CEST 2014

You are correct - I forgot to note that the incoming rtmp is Sorensen Spark
video and Speex audio, whereas Wowza only creates HLS from an H264/AAC
stream.  In fact our original goal with ffmpeg was just to transcode
between these two specs, until we found out ffmpeg does straight HLS.

Let me take this opportunity to add that I've messed with the ffmpeg
parameters within my very limited understanding of what they do.  Command
line options I've added that didn't fix it:

-re (read input stream at native frame rate)
-profile:v baseline (not so clear on what this does)
-v:b 400k (video bitrate - tried a few different values, along with
-maxrate 400k -bufsize 800k, because someone said -maxrate and -bufsize
should be v:b and 2*v:b)
-probesize 50k (how much data to scan to determine stream info - instead of
default 500k - someone said the "failed to read packet" might be a timeout
while reading this part)
-dropped -r (output frame rate) and -g (key frame interval) to 20 and 40
-most recently, added timeout=10 and buffer=3600000 to the input rtmp
string - still testing the effects