[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

James Darnley james.darnley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:34:42 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-21 22:18, miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr wrote:
> snip

If you are looking for language tips, here you go:

User fewer nested brackets.  A sentence should still make sense after
you eliminate/delete each bracketed section.  The example I created here
is limited and repetitive but should show you what I mean

> If you need to explain something (that's fine (but if you need to explain that, consider rewriting), do it), that's fine.
> If you need to explain something (that's fine, do it), that's fine.
> If you need to explain something, that's fine.

See?

Use fewer commas.  Your second paragraph is one entire sentence with so
many commas separating various things that make it very hard to keep
track of your point.

I don't want dissuade you from using English if it isn't your native
language.  You seem to speak it fairly well.  I am no English professor
either.  This is just to help you be more clear about your point.

Carl did give you a couple of links which may help clear up the
situation.  I will just add this.

FFmpeg (two upper-case 'F') is the name of the project/group here at
ffmpeg.org.  You can communicate with it/us at this mailing list.  It
provides these programs: ffmpeg, ffplay, ffserver, ffprobe.  It also
provides these libraries (among others): libavcodec, libavformat.  These
libraries are often referred to with some on these shorthands: libav,
libav*, lavc, lavf.

Libav (with the upper-case 'L') is the name of that other project/group
over at libav.org.  It provides the programs: avconv, avprobe.  It too
provides some libraries: libavcodec, libavformat.

Overall it is pretty confusing for those on the "outside".