[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Apr 23 23:14:27 CEST 2014

John Finlay <finlay <at> moeraki.com> writes:

> In my experience the incompatibilities between avconv
> and ffmpeg are mostly command line differences e.g
> map 0.1 vs map 0:1

This sounds unlikely:
The map 0.1 syntax was dropped from FFmpeg three years
ago iirc.

> and differences in placement of options e.g before
> or after the -i options.

This is at least misleading:
There are input options (which have to be placed
before -i) and output options (which have to be placed
after the filename following -i). There are input and
output options with the same name. And there are
global options where the position does not matter.
That said, I don't think there is any difference
between FFmpeg and any forks with respect to the
placement of options.

> In terms of features ffmpeg is a superset of avconv.

This is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Carl Eugen