[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

Dainius (GreatEmerald) pastas4 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 09:49:27 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> http://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/2013/01/18/the-case-of-defaults-libav-vs-ffmpeg/
> http://aballier.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/ffmpeg-vs-libav-a-distribution-maintainer-point-of-view-almost-two-years-after-the-split/
> (It is necessary to read the second one to "understand"
> the first one which is full of the usual lies.)

Hmm, I thought this was old news, given that the date is the beginning
of 2013, but then the virtual/ffmpeg changelog says it just takes that
long until "ffmpeg-9" gets stabilised. So this is exactly about that
change, yes. And yeap, it looks like it was changed for no real reason
at all, the official rationale being:

> This change is being done due to various reasons like matching default with Fedora and Debian, or due to fact that some projects which are high-profile (eg sh*tload of people use them) will be probably libav only. One example being gst-libav which is in return required by libreoffice-4 which is due release in about month. To go for least pain for the user we decided to move from default ffmpeg to default libav library.

In other words, "maybe GStreamer will only work with libav" and "some
other distros switched" (and may have since then switched back,
actually; in Debian there are now quite a few people fighting to get
FFmpeg back as the default). Maybe there is enough following in Gentoo
now to also switch back, on the occasion of FFmpeg 2.2 being released?

> If you know of any bugs in FFmpeg that affect GStreamer
> please report them to us!
> (So far, all reports ended in "you are right, it works
> fine".)

No, I don't; the link I posted is actually about a GStreamer bug when
using FFmpeg, not the other way around, as far as I can tell.