[FFmpeg-user] Error after conversion back to WebM ( under IE 11 )

RDP gliese849b at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 22:32:28 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> RDP <gliese849b <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Please always post command lines etc. (everything except
> sample files) on the mailing list, do not use external
> resources, they may disappear.

Understood ( though in this case I'd happily leave them behind
for posterity )

> The failing command line in your case is the command
> line that produces a webm file that does not play.
> This is what I tried to explain with "in your case
> the command line that produces the webm file".

Understood ( we just saw this from a slightly different aspect )

>> If they had, then you would had got the 'offending'
>> output quoted, here.
>
> The command line is needed no matter if an error is
> shown or not.

Understood.

>> I assume nothing. I expect nothing. I'm not
>> 'everybody'. I don't use IE  by default.
>
> You are one (of several persons) who - afaict -
> assume that IE plays webm files (it does not).

There was no intentional ass-out-of-u-and-me from
either side  ;o)  However, with all due respect, maybe
a little pedanty creeping in here?  ;o)   IE does 'play'
webm *with* the necessary assistance.  Otherwise,
I agree with you, no, by default, IE does not play
webm ( yet ).

> From your question, it would have been difficult
> to understand that you are using Google's webm
> plugin (which for some reason requires the mkv
> version to be set to 2 while FFmpeg sets it to
> 4 since it uses features only present in version
> 4).

As it happens a search provided a similar scenario,

https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/forum/#!topic/webm-discuss/oQOU2-txchw
> [...]

and knowing allows patching/fixing.

>> Should I infer from your message that you consider
>> ffmpeg not to be 'at fault', just because the
>> command does not throw an error during conversion?
>
> No, my message (above) meant that we are aware of
> the problem.

In which case, no more needs to be said on the matter.

Cheers for your messages and assistance.  Rest assured,
should I post again, I will border on compendiousness!
;o)

Regards,

Chris,